Friday, April 21, 2006

Petit fours


IMG_1553.JPG
Originally uploaded by risque.
Gordon Ramsay style

Edit 24042006: I guess I should elaborate more on my Gordon Ramsay @ Claridge's experience. For those who know me well, you'll know that I love to eat good food. If I was broke, I'd sell my Wuv Muffin's left kidney for a fine dining experience *grin* So I was quite disappointed when I blew a wad of quids at Gordon Ramsay's for a pretty average meal.

Don't get me wrong, the quality of produce is excellent, and the food is good. Just not very exciting. No *wow* factor. The watercress veloute amuse bouche was a nice opening to dinner. However, the entree of pressed foie gras (terrine?) with brioche was pretty plain and boring. For the first time in my life, I left a slab of foie gras on my plate :P The main was pork cheeks with grain mustard pomme mousseline. The pork cheeks were tender, but that's about it. I'd describe the meal as "nice" but not "tasty". I was kinda hoping for an experience like the time I had Becasse's daube of wagyu beef.

Anyway, there's also the theory that I've been eating out too much and my tastes are just too picky these days. It takes a lot for me to be impressed by food these days ;)

Gordon Ramsay: 60 quid for 3 course meal, plus 2 glasses of wine (2 bottles between 8 people) = 80 quid or approx AUD$190.

My opinion: Save the money for Tetsuya's 9 course meal (AUD$180). Of course, it'll cost you a bundle to get to Sydney to try it :P No regrets about going to Gordon Ramsay's though, it had to be done. Just wish more effort was made with making the food distinguishable from other restaurants. 60 quid is a lot to pay for an average food experience. Am I expecting too much from a one-star Michelin restaurant?

Rating: 3/5

No comments: