Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Marriage?

I thought I was off the hook. I'm the youngest of three kids. My eldest brother is married. He and his wife recently had a baby girl. So when I called my Mum for a chat on Monday, I never expected to have this conversation with her:

Mum: "You're getting close to 30, my dear."
Me: "I know. So what?"
Mum: "It's time you got married."
Me: "WHAT?!?"
Mum: "Do you want me to matchmake for you?"
Me: "WHAT?!?!? Who have you been talking to??"
Mum: "If you have a husband, you won't have time to go gallivanting."
Me: "MUM! You already have one grandkid to play with!"

So, I'm closer to 30. That apparently means I have to get married.
Mygawd, the thought of my Mother picking someone for me... *shudder* It's weird actually. Last year, it was all about weddings. The majority of my friends got hitched. This year, it's beginning to be all about babies. Friends are starting to talk about getting the right healthcare with obstetrician cover. In the meantime, I've been spending my money on holidays, tattoos, clubs, and err, teeth whitening (*dazzle* *dazzle*). Weddings, mortgages, babies... Last thing on my mind. I'm a little selfish at the moment. Not ready to settle. Love my freedom. Rah rah rah.

In order to get my Mother's mind off marrying me to a random stranger, I'm switching the focus to my bachelor brother :P Anyone out there looking for a very eligible 32 year old bachelor? Has good looks (well, he's got the same genes as me). Loves to cook Italian. Go on, make my Mother happy :)

Missy Wan, don't think you're going to win the bet so easily :P

9 comments:

Unknown said...

If I marry you will you support me with your squiddiez so I can come to London and play foreva???

reenie said...

Make you a deal, become a gigolo, and I'll become your client *grin*

Mike said...

MIKE POSTING:

I agree, why do girls freak out so much about the big 30. It's not as though post 30 guys avoid you like the plague.

Personally I think 40 is a good age to get married

reenie said...

Mate, it's okay for a guy to get married at 40. You're not shooting blanks yet. For gals, it's a little bit too late to sprog kiddies, don't you think? I think that's the man concern for ladiez. They want healthy babies with no complications. And do you really want to be 50 when your kid's 10??

reenie said...

*main concern. Oops

Mike said...

MIKE POSTING:

Adoption is the key. Adopt when they are 18...or maybe some sort of timeshare arrangement

reenie said...

I think the next time you see a baby, you should talk to its parents and suggest putting it on "Lay By" :) Get Babsy to explain it to you if you don't know what it means.

pook look said...

you're just getting close to 30?? well, i'm already 30 but still doing great without guys. ;)

reenie said...

Hehehe... I'm not complaining about me being single at my age, my Mum is! :)

And if you really want, I can set you up with some Dutch guys I met at U&W's wedding, Pook ;)