Tuesday, November 04, 2008

So ronery :(

This evening I dropped off my MBP at the Apple store. My heart-strings tugged as I left it at the store. As usual, I had to beg for this appointment last weekend, and then deal with an Appletard tonight. It's funny, try saying something "anti-Apple" at the "Genius" Bar and just watch how defensive the Appletards get *grin*

Me: "It's unbelievable that I've spent so much money on this machine and when I talk to other Mac users, we all have the same problems. It's always the battery, fans or harddrive."
Appletard: "I find most Mac users who complain don't know what they're talking about."

I don't bother to mention that I'm in IT and so is everyone one else I talk to about Mac problems.

Awhile ago, my left fan made the most evilest of clunking noises. It almost sounded like it was grinding walnuts in there. When the noise stopped, I knew it had died. Hence, I'm getting both left and right fans replaced. The right one is just in case :P When I was trying to burn some stuff for backup last night, guess what? My optical drive died. Slowly, my beautiful machine is falling apart on me. So far, it's had the battery, logic board and power adapter replaced. The new fans and optical drive will make my machine an official Frankenstein :(

How much is all this costing me?
Drive: £146
Fan left: £9
Fan right: £9
Hardware repair: £40
Tax: £35.71
Grand Poobah Total: £239.71

DAMN YOU APPLE!! Squiddie-grubbing monsters!

Me: "Hey, what's this here about a £100 diagnostics fee? Do I have to pay more?"
Appletard: "Oh, don't worry about that. It's in case we open it up and find out that you've caused the damage. Like spilt water on it. If that's the case and you don't want it fixed, then we still charge you a £100 for wasting our time."

I wish I could charge people at work £100 everytime they wasted my time :P

3 comments:

Unknown said...

239 pounds for repair!!!!! you are crazy ... tell that girl to shove that computer up her behind (if she likes it that much) and go and buy another one ... you are better off spending repair money towards something that will last

and this happened because you got the first gen intels and they couldn't get the overheating issue fixed and that has killed your optical (killed my hard-disc with only copies of my prague photos), and it also killed your fans because they have to run flat out all the time

Kev said...

[smug]My dell is rock solid![/smug]

On the flip side, my previous Powerbook was quite good as well, except for the overheating battery replacement issue (which seems to have afflicted every notebook out there).

That Apple support guy was a bit snarky...

reenie said...

Hahaha, I've had my fair share of issues with Dell machines too *grin* To be fair, Dell's got better support than Apple!