Monday, November 27, 2006

Schlocky horror goodness

The Barbican held a special event last weekend. It screened the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre with a live "soundtrack" performance by Puerto Muerto. Did the live performance add anything to the movie? Mmm, nope. Not really. They did a couple of songs that went well with the movie in the background, but that was it. The rest were just "space fillers" for moments of nothingness in the movie. Keep in mind that TCM already _has_ a soundtrack (cue screams and screechy horror noises), and when there's no music, it's probably done intentionally to add to the tension. So the addition of Puerto Muerto's tracks actually ruined parts of the movie for me. I'm not sure what Puerto Muerto were trying to achieve, and at times, it made the movie seem more like a video clip. I thought a soundtrack was meant to enhance the movie, not the other way around *shrug* My only complaint would be the stinky guy who sat next to me... Urggh... How can people smell so bad?


I don't really know how I got into horror movies. I suspect it has something to do with putting on a brave face infront of my brothers when we watched horror movies some 20 years ago. I think my fave these days, has to be House of 1000 Corpses by Rob Zombie. Inspired of course, by TCM :) It has the nutso freakish characters from the 70s, modernised and even more insane. Definitely worth a watch.

No comments: