Sunday, May 10, 2009

Introducing (cubana tres)

(Note: If you can't see the slideshow in your reader, go to the post)
... my bicycle!!!


A little on the heavy side, lots of gears (which I had no idea how to use), no suspension, and... my feet could barely touch the pedals :P AND, even though it made me pee blood, I still fell in love with my bicycle *grin* After cycling 60kms for approximately 4 hours, I was in pain. That wasn't the worrying part. I started to worry when I stopped feeling pain. By Day 3, I was numb downstairs. I didn't think that was a good sign. I don't understand how guys do long distance cycling at all!

Was it all worth the nerve damage?

There were times when the road wound downhill amongst an almost jungle-like backdrop. I cranked up my gears, stood up tall on my bike with the pedals positioned horizontally, squeezed the seat between my thighs in a vain attempt to stop me flying off over potholes, and I went *zoOMMM* around the whirly bends! I couldn't stop grinning the entire time :) I wanted to stop for photos, but I wanted more just to make the thrill last longer. So I kept going, and I found myself crying out loud, "AWEEESOME!" to noone but the turkey vultures circling gracefully above me.


There were times when I felt the Cuban sun burning my back. When I looked up ahead, and saw the road shimmering like liquid. I was averaging about 1.5L of water each day, yet never felt the need to pee as the Cuban sun sweated it all out of me from the moment I got on the bike. Times when I thought I'd choke to death on fumes spewed out by lorries filled with people waving to me as they passed by. There were a couple of times, when I just toppled off my bike *sheepish grin* To be fair, both times happened while I was trying to change gears going uphill. Do you know how hard it is to get back on a bike on a hill?!?




I wanted a challenge, and that's what I got every time I hopped onto that bicycle. Everyday, I saw something new. So yeah, throw in Fidel's choice of Cohiba and I'd say it was worth it all :)


(PS: If someone could explain to me how to change gears on a bike without my feet flying off, I'd really appreciate it!)

No comments: