Sunday, July 16, 2006

The Fattening

Time: 1230 - Ping Pong Dim Sum (it's not called Yum Cha here). This has to be the trendiest yum cha place I've ever been to. Where else serves cocktails at yum cha? The atmosphere was almost club-like, and it felt a bit odd being there during the day. The food was good, but a bit on the pricey side for yum cha. Gawd, I'm not converting because it's just crazy thinking about how much was spent on yum cha. Worth going because it's a classy place :) Although, we were more intrigued by the tea balls that unfurled into blossoms when left in hot water, than the trendy delicacies. Thanks for organising, Niffies! *muah*



Time: 1700 - Maison Blanc with Jamie :) I can't believe it's taken us 2.5 months to meet up in Rondon! I'm glad that I finally got to take Jamie to my fave cake shop. I was VERY relieved when the chocolate creme brulee cake met her high standards *grin*


Time: 1800 - We headed across the street to Pierre Marcolini! (Getting there took 30 seconds, figuring out where the place was took 5 minutes *grin*) YUMMO! Ganaches, pralines, cocoas, truffles... *drool* We split five chocs between the two of us - we had to save room for dinner after all ;)

The Venezuela 72% bitter was my favourite, followed by the Couer Framboise heart, then the Caraibe ganache, then finally the Truffe du Jour. From the counter, these sell at GBP$75 per kilo! Good thing it was Jamie's turn to treat! Hehe :)

Time: 1930 - Cantonese style roast duck at Four Seasons. Good thing we'd booked, because the place was packed out. At Four Seasons, if you don't share a table, you'll probably spend a couple of hours waiting to eat. The duck was a bit disappointing as it was the fattiest duck I've ever eaten. Although deboned, I spent a lot of time scraping off the fat between the skin and the meat :( I think I've hit the limit of fat my heart can tolerate. We all agreed that the sauce was great, but the duck itself needs work! I'd stick a picture of the duck here, but my photography skills made the duck look revolting :( If Steven has a better pic, I'm stealing it :)

I can't wait for our next outing Ms K! Hehehee :)

Edit 16072006: Here's Steven's roast duck pic!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank for taking me to the cake shop! It was great. Though I think we should take only one afternoon tea per day from now on! hahaha

Anonymous said...

You dont take me to cake shops Reenie *sniff SNIFF*

xx
Babs

reenie said...

That's because you're always off to the RACES, or a BALL, or FRANCE whenever I try to organise something with you :P

Anonymous said...

Again a food blog! Your weblog makes me hungry.

Wicky.

reenie said...

Hehehe, I wish you guys had the time to pop over before leaving Netherlands. I'd take you to eat all the nice food! But you'll be getting nice (and better/fresher) food soon enough in Sydney :)

Anonymous said...

Babs - at least she tells you she has a blog.

btw - when taking photos of food, don't take them from directly top-on. Take them from the side, at angle.

RC

reenie said...

Maybe it has to do with the fact that you post comments worthy of Mills & Boons on other people's blogs, RC *grin* Fair warning though, any comments like that on my blog and you're getting barred :P

Anonymous said...

Ok. I'll just have to be content with sitting here and reading in silence.

RC