Friday, October 10, 2008

Favela Paintings

Favela paintings was a project I read about ages ago. An art project by Dutch artists (Jeroen Koolhaas and Dre Urhahn) in the favelas of Brasil. They're in Vila Cruzeiro, one of Rio's most notorious areas. Their message is, "About one fifth of Rio's population lives in some 700 favelas. Although many have access to running water and electricity, most lack the basics in healthcare facilities and education. Help the children of Rio's favelas use their creativity to fight social exclusion. Help us make more and bigger paintings." Read their blog. These guys get shot at by the police.

Here's a finished piece :)



Lately, I've been contemplating one "last" tattoo (yes yes, I know I've said it before, at least twice!) to mark the end of a chapter and the start of another. Of course - I want Rob Admiraal. The first choice I had in mind for my koi. No other artist I think, for my last. Imagine my surprise when I did some research on Rob, and came across Favela Paintings again :)



My koi tattooist, was Lina Stigsson, personally recommended by Rob, and they share the same studio :) Sooo, do you see any similarities between...

Rob's fishies:




and my fishie? *big grin*

(or is it just cause I've had some to drink?)

I love it when real life and blogs collide :)

No comments: