Friday, March 27, 2009

Em.bar.rass.ment

Noun: A feeling of self-consciousness, shame or awkwardness.

Lately, I've been thinking of my past. It could be my poor memory, or even my Homer Simpson moment of drunken reality kicking in, but my past is surprisingly unembarrassing. I tried to explain it today, to someone who's only known me for a short time.

Within the close circle of friends I have, we've shared a lot of intensely personal stories. I actually wonder what my closest friends would say if anyone outside the circle asked for embarrassing stories about me.


Hrm... Would you bring up the "Moon" incident on my 20-something-th birthday? How about my penchant for kissing girls after a drink (I still maintain there was no tongue, Ula!)?

I've figured it out, it's not embarrassing when:
:: I have an open honesty policy (you just have to ask the right questions :P ); and
:: I'm lucky enough to have friends who try to outdo each other in the attention grabbing stakes *grin* I think back to all the piss-taking uni presentations we gave infront of each other, and all the effort we put in for each others' 21st birthday parties. There were topless guys in boxers jumping out of boxes infront of my parents for my 21st! Mmm, male exhibitionists friends... 9 years on, and I still remember that moment ;)

There's also The Vault. The friends whom I've shared those intensely personal stories with, know how to keep it in The Vault.

Seinfeld: "I'm not saying anything, I'm putting it in the vault, I'm locking the vault. It's a vault!"

It's nice to know that my friends know how to keep The Vault shut :) Even if you haven't, the world hasn't stopped spinning for me.

2 comments:

Kev said...

I used to check out other people's 21sts and they had nothing! No pants off, shirt off activity at all...come to think of it, that might have been a good thing.

I still have etched in my mind that time we did the dance for Anna's hens. I swear her mom was screaming the loudest :)

reenie said...

Haha, I remember that too... No wonder you get along with mothers so well ;) You guys could've started a professional strip crew!