Sunday, March 01, 2009

I get SPAM


... from my fam a lot. Here's the latest, followed by my response. Let's see if that jerks some tears ;P

=======
Just when you have lost faith in human kindness.

Someone who teaches at an Elementary in Thorsby forwarded the following letter. The letter was sent to the principal's office after the school had sponsored a luncheon for the elderly. An elderly lady received a new radio at the lunch as a prize and was writing to say thank you. This story is a credit to all humankind. Forward to anyone you know who might need a lift today.

Dear Thorsby School:

God bless you for the beautiful radio I won at your recent senior citizens luncheon. I am 84 years old and live at the Sunnybrook Assisted Home for the Aged. My family have all passed away and I am alone so thank you for your kindness to a forgotten old lady. My roommate is 95 and has always had her own radio, but she would never let me listen to hers, even when she was napping. The other day her radio fell off the nightstand and broke into a lot of pieces. It was awful and she was in tears. She asked if she could listen to mine but I told her to fuck off.

Thank you for that opportunity.

Sincerely,

Edna.

=====

Dearest Family,

To be honest, I'm sick of the "human kindness" emails that go out. Because you know what? Most of the time, they're full of shit. If you don't believe me, here's the proof:
http://www.snopes.com/humor/letters/newradio.asp

No offence, but not all things you read on the internet are true.

Most of the time, they're to make you feel better. F*ck that shit (sorry Ma&Pa). Ask yourself, why do you need that?

To be honest, I've never lost faith in human kindness.

So here's my story. You can bet it's true. When I first landed in London, I had little money, no job, lots of debt and a couch in a squishy one bedroom apartment to live in with a couple. Part of that couple was a close mate. After 6 weeks, the close mate said to me, "When are you moving out?"

I started asking around. I asked another close friend. I use to get calls from this friend when I was living in Sydnery. In the middle of a work day, she'd be sobbing about some drama. I'd walk outside my office, and I'd take the call. This girl, has a 2 bedroom apartment in London. A spare room. This girl was also having an affair with her company's client. I have _always_ *been there* for her. When I asked her if I could stay over for a short period of time, she said something along the lines of, "I'm sorry, but my partner wouldn't be comfortable with that".

Inside, I was thinking, "You'd rather see me homeless than upset someone who has 3 kids, not by you, and still married".

That's when I ended the friendship.

If anything, that should've made me bitter about humankind.

Another friend, who had little, lived in an ex-council flat, in the dodgy side of London, immediately said something along the lines to me of, "Come stay with me. For as long as you want."

Why lose faith in human kindness when I'm friends with such a beautiful person?

No comments: